Panellist: Vivian W. Kamau
Corporate Communications Manager, Public Image International
Is EI just a form of manipulation designed to get into people’s heads?
Everything is manipulation at one level. Paying inflated salaries is manipulation. Writing these answers in blue (as opposed to red, say) is manipulation.
The important thing is the intent behind any behaviour. EI is one of many things people might use to manipulate other people, but it isn’t the manipulation itself.
What are the characteristics of people with high EI?
- Focus on the positive
- Increased self awareness leading to greater effectiveness.
- Greater empathy with, and understanding of, other people.
- Higher ability to work successfully with others.
- Surround themselves with positive people
- Are able to set boundaries and be assertive when necessary
- Forward thinking and willing to let go of the past
- Choose how they expend their energy wisely
- EI is a precursor and requirement of leadership.
How can I improve my EI?
- Practise and develop self awareness.
- Lose judgement of others.
- Let go of the need to be right.
- Reduce stress
- Improve nonverbal communication
- Use humor to play to deal with challenges
- Resolve conflict positively